Thursday, August 25, 2011

Our Rainy Day Routine

On rainy days, we tend to have a routine: games, crafts, books, movies, and (my kids' favorite) bake chocolate chip cookies. We've had this routine for many months and it's one I've come to love. My daughter and I typically wait until my son goes down for his nap and we get right to work. First, we put some music on so we can sing while we gather all of the ingredients needed to make the very best cookies possible, then she puts on her apron and sits on the counter waiting (im)patiently for what comes next. I measure everything out and she dumps it all into a large mixing bowl, all the while asking me if she can "lick the spoon yet." We mix, scoop, then plant ourselves in front of the oven window to watch them rise during the longest 9 minutes shes ever had to wait. And when that timer goes off, I put 2 very warm cookies on a plate, pour 2 cups of cold milk and we sit on the couch, talking about what a great job we did and how happy Daddy will be when he gets to enjoy a cookie after work :)

She's my very best little helper and I love this time we spend together. Below are some shots of our chocolate chip cookie baking process and the mess that inevitably follows. As a mom, I really hope that these are times that will always stay with her, because I know that they'll always stick with me :)














2 comments: